Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The MGMTs (aka the least time relevant post ever)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
photo via HRO

I'm not an MGMT fan. Don't worry, that's not a confession. I mean, it's kind of obvious, right? All of their songs sound pretty similar and are about 2X too slow. Borrrrring. But, I have to admit, I think that the song Time to Pretend is a pretty good single for a band that is overplayed and overhyped. Actually, the only reason I can even stand the song, probably, is because I moved to Columbus in the end of August instead of the beginning of 2008. The reason is the local alternative radio station, CD101. The station way overplays its popular songs. I don't blame CD101, I blame the people calling/texting/emailing their requests for the same couple of songs every day. I mean, c'mon, don't people get tired of hearing Pork and Beans after a few days?

CD101 puts out a top 101 songs of each year and the number one requested/played song of 2008 was MGMT's Time to Pretend. Honestly, I didn't even realize the song was a big single on the alt radio circuit, probably because I hadn't listened to anything but NPR until I moved to a city that has a station that plays music that's on the top 40 Alt Music List instead of the top 40 rock/country/pop lists. I would have hated Time to Pretend if I was living in Columbus, listening to CD101, even occasionally, because it would have been played so often. I was lucky enough to move in right as MGMT's Electric Feel got super super popular so that's what I got to hear constantly (now it's Fleet Foxes' White Winter Hymnal. and I hate it).

You're probably wondering why Time to Pretend is, for me, better than any of the other songs MGMT put out. I mean, it's a valid question. They're all by a long haired, shirtless white dude, trying to connect with his inner wolf. There's nothing redeeming about that. I guess it has a lot to do with that hook. You know what I'm talking about. I'm a sucker for a good hook (the Best Example here). The only other reason, and the one that needs to be capitalized on a lot more than it already has, is how meaningful it is. I mean it in the best/worst way possible.



The first time I really recognized that Time to Pretend was a "good" song was after I watched this preview for The Unidentified, a movie that a friend of mine did the sound on. And then it really clicked as the actors ran through the screen changing their perspective on life; this song takes the place of Death Cab's Passenger Seat (/every other song?) as the most meaningful song to ride in a car at night/change the world to. Actually, I think MGMT is the new Death Cab. It is the best band to connect with your mainstream friends over at the moment. I'm proud to be a part of the movement.

2 comments:

parallelliott said...

nothing these mgmt people do will touch transatlanticism. an mgmt song, for example, will never be on an episode of the oc. seth will never have an mgmt poster up in his room.

colleen said...

will there ever be a band as epic as dcfc again????? :(