Saturday, January 24, 2009

Girl Talk 1.0 or Something



A few days ago Al pointed out that Mariah Carey's song Fantasy (hate it when embedding is disabled) samples Tom Tom Club's Genius of Love in the background. Turns out, she even sings some of Tom Tom Club's lyrics near the end of the song (I'm a little disappointed she doesn't say James Brown a few times). Maybe I'm a little dense for not noticing it before but I probably never noticed because I was 10 when Fantasy came out (I listened to the Beatles and Bach back then, didn't really know anything else existed). Looking through the comments under the Fantasy video I linked to, I'm not the only one who just recently realized this either. The sample definitely makes that song/Mariah Carey better though, it's a sweet beat to steal for a pop tune. I think Stephen mentioned once that Genius of Love is the most annoying song ever, but I don't think so. I look at it as way ahead of its time in terms of what it's doing musically. Like, it totally could have come out in 2006 and been a hit. Anyway, are there a lot more pop songs from the 90s that sample good beats via the 70s/80s that I don't know about?

No comments: