Friday, February 01, 2008

Pretty Goes with Colleen


Scott Tennent over at Pretty Goes with Pretty (out of all blogs, a good one) most recent post, Let's Talk About the Issues, somehow encapsulates the 2008 presidential election pretty well for me. Taking his cue from a (relatively bland) LATimes photo album/article about what pop culture affects the different presidential candidates (specifically their favorite music, television and movies). PGWP gives its reaction to the different candidate's answers and appears spot on in its evaluation relative to what I generally think of the candidates.

My two favorite PGWP comments are toward John McCain and Hilary Clinton:
John McCain
Campaign soundtrack: "Gonna Fly Now (Theme From 'Rocky')", ABBA's "Take a Chance on Me" and "Johnny B. Goode" by Chuck Berry

Favorite TV show: "Prison Break"

On the iPod: "I have an iPod with Beach Boys, Roy Orbison – I have a varied taste in music between very good music and not-so-good music, but most of my advancement in music appreciation stopped the day I was shot down in October of 1967."

Pretty Goes with Pretty reaction: Fuuuuuuuuuuck. It's hard to fuck with a dude who throws his POW ordeal in your face when you ask him who is favorite band is. Speaking of, it would blow my mind to hear him talk back to his TV during an episode of Prisonbreak. (Additionally, I like that he likes good music and he also likes not-so-good music--lest he offend people who really love not-so-good music. Ever the politician.)

Hillary Clinton
Campaign soundtrack: Celine Dion's "You and I"

Favorite TV show: "American Idol," "Grey's Anatomy," "Dancing With the Stars," and HGTV makeover shows

On iPod: Clinton told the Associated Press in the spring of 2006 that she received her iPod as a gift from her husband. At that time, songs included Aretha Franklin’s “Respect,” the Beatles’ “Hey Jude” and “Take it to the Limit” by The Eagles.

Pretty Goes with Pretty reaction: the transparency of her clearly pandering choices for favorite television show are a great example of why I don't want her to win the nomination. I do, however, believe that she likes the Eagles. However, taking her campaign song into account, apparently Clinton and McCain could reach across the aisle in their love of not-so-good music.

Scott, you speak right through me, man. Seriously, though. You can learn more about how those candidates are going to act if elected through their take on pop culture more than you ever could listening to any campaign speech.




No comments: